Thursday, May 7, 2015

And now for something completely different

Home sweet home
So, I've started working on Book #6. And ya'll, I don't know what is going on chemically in my brain, but this story isn't like anything I've done before. It's still fantasy. Well, more magical realism I guess.

It's set in the 1800's.
In the area I grew up in.
And has no love interest.

*scratches head*

I have no idea how this story got into my head. It's so different from what I normally do, and it is driving me crazy. It's not progressing the way my stories usually do. I keep thinking of plot points, which is weird, because normally I focus on characters and then have to think "oh yeah, I need a plot for these lovely character arcs to rest on."

Not with this one. I keep thinking of what will happen and not about my character, and I gotta be honest, I kinda hate it. I can't figure my main girl out. At all. Normally it takes a while, but my characters always unfold as I begin to listen to them. Not this girl. She is all over the place. Granted, I have been too this week and it's only been a week or so since I started playing around with this one. But I need to get inside my main character's head, and I'm having the hardest time figuring her out. She lets other people influence her, which is coming to life in how I write, because I find myself writing more about secondary characters and her reactions to them, instead of the other way around. Which fits where she is personality wise, but sweet mess, that's a horrible way to write a book. My darling main character needs to drive the plot, and so far I'm trying to use the plot to drive her, and it equals one big mess and one very frustrated writer. I think I need to stop writing scenes and just start somewhere and let the poor girl go. (it's what she'd dying to do anyways. geez, maybe I need to start half way through the book and write from there, then go back and do the beginning).

Anyways, all of that to say I don't even know why I'm writing this one. Other than God has wedged the story in my brain, and well, it won't leave until it's written. So write it, I shall.

My main character, L, is a blond haired, brown eyed feisty thing. She lives with her Mama in a wood cabin that doesn't seem to age, much like her Mama doesn't.

L.

L has magic. Parlor tricks, really, or so she thinks. She has no idea what her power can do. But someone else does. Someone who feels threatened by it. For now, L's magic is contained, like light in a jar. 

Contained

She's going to have to figure out a way to unleash it.

Magic
L's best friends are a boy and an old Cherokee. She hides them, much like she hides a lot of her true self from people. She has big shoes to fill. Obligations. Responsibilities. Always expected to do the right thing.

But what is the right thing?

Something she'll have to figure out.

This is what she wants

L is so different from my other lead characters. She's not as broken, at least in ways that are visible. Not single tragedy she's had to get over like my other MC's. The word that keeps coming to mind when I think of L is "child-like." Not sassy like G or fierce like E. She's dying for the freedom to be who she is. Granted, she has no idea who she is. 

But she does. She just doesn't realize it. She keeps searching for her story in other people (gah, just like I keep doing when trying to write her!), instead of writing her own.

L always goes barefoot


So right now, this girl is frustrating the life out of me. Probably because she's so good at hiding who she is and not being real. She's trying to be who she thinks I want her to be, and not who she is. *why yes, I do talk to and about my characters like they are real people*.  Maybe the more I plow through and write her, the more she'll drop the charade and show herself to me. Elsi was just like this at first (she keeps her cards close to the vest), so it wasn't until the second half of her book that I figured out who the heck Elsi was. I should have known L would be just like her. I said to myself the other day, "I think L and Elsi would be best friends." Go figure. 




No comments:

Post a Comment