Sunday, September 7, 2014

National Read a Book Day

So evidently Saturday was National Read a Book Day. (Isn't every day supposed to be that? Why yes, I agree.)

In honor, I thought I'd make a list of my top 10 favorite books. In all fairness, I am probably missing a good number that I love. But, nevertheless, here are 10 ones that I reread over and over and over and over and over and...

1. Divergent (Veronica Roth)

Buy it!
I almost feel guilty and shallow mentioning this one, since it's become such a franchise. (The movie was meh. Didn't love it. They changed the story way too much)

I read this book cover to cover half a dozen times when I first got it from the library. I love this series. Veronica Roth is a skillful storyteller, because she nailed not only a first rate, high stakes story (subsequently making all other dystopian stories fall flat on their face), but the inner workings of a main character that all the reader's loved so much it resulted in people sending the woman death threats after the third book came out. I love Tris. I identify with her wanting to be brave.

2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Laini Taylor)

Isn't this cover gorgeous?
This book is breathtaking. No one can write like Laini Taylor can. Artist student with a secret life ends up in a save-her-world, battle of good versus evil that, as all battles tend to be, is not what it seems. I reread sentences in this book because they were just so beautiful and right. The characters are perfection, the premise out of this world (literally). This book is fantasy, but not fantasy...the plot was so beautifully orchestrated and done in a way that makes you care. I almost wanted Brimstone to be real. Read this. Thank me later.

3. Throne of Glass (Sarah Maas)

This is the new cover, which is so much better than the first
My stars, I love this series. Celeana is an assassin (I know, those are so overdone right now in YA). But oh, you will love her. She is wounded, and I love how Sarah Maas unfolds Celeana's brokenness over the course of not only the first book but the ones that follow. You will root for her more than you will root for any other heroine. Love, love, love these books.

4. Shadow and Bone (Leigh Bardugo)

Love this cover-the book has Russian influences and you can tell by this!

Another great series. I heard rumor that someone bought the movie rights to this which I HATE. Why must everything be turned into a movie? As a general rule, I hate it. The beauty of books is that they are personal. You, the reader, get to imagine the story your own way. And this is fantasy. How would they bring this world to life in a way that brings the story justice? Anywho, if you love romances that stem from friendship (and then go horribly, horribly wrong because of well, those reasons) read this!

5. Defiance (CJ Redwine)

Just bought this one!

A post-apocalypse series that you wouldn't know when you first read it (cause it's  not the usual type, which is awesome). Rachel is such a great heroine. Feisty yet with a vulnerable heart and oh my stars, I love love love her. Logan is tender hearted and fights for her, as of course, they try to do good and battle evil and love each other through exposed secrets and horrible, horrible things. I love stories that show love being built on ruins and thriving.

6. Counting by 7's (Holly Goldberg Sloan)

Such a quiet cover for such a powerful book


One of the best Middle Grade books I will ever read. If you have ever wanted family, or family different from what you had, or worried that you don't have family, you need to read this. It's about loss of family and the beauty of finding it again, in unexpected places.

7. Eleanor and Park (Rainbow Rowell)



Oh, this book....such a beautiful love story (set in the 80's!  Hello!) but woven in it is a girl held captive by fear, and longing for freedom. Definitely an R rated book (to me at least) because of language and some heavy subjects, but man, I loved this. Who can't get behind a love story that starts on a school bus?  Sigh...I want me boy babies to be like Park. And heavens, finally a female protagonist who isn't rail thin and short. Geez, all I want is a normal sized woman!

8. Snicker of Magic  (Natalie Lloyd)

A book about magic, mountains, and ice cream? Yes, please!
If you live in East TN, read this. You will fall in love with Felicity as she finds home in our beloved mountains. I love this story. Natalie Lloyd spins words like cotton candy, fluffy and sweet and full of magic. Love this story about waiting, and wanting to find home, and the words that define us. And hope. Gosh, hope! I want to get a tattoo of a bird on my wrist because of this book.

9. My Life in France (Julia Child)

I heart Julia!

Threw you for a loop didn't I? My only non-YA/MG book. I love Julia Child. I love that she found her passion so late in life. I love that she devoted herself to practicing her craft. I loved that she had fun while doing it. She lost herself in cooking, without losing who she was. This book portrays how all of that came to be. Dave bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago and I've probably read it 6 or 7 times through.

10.Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)

Love this cover too-it matches the story. A lot of covers don't actually do that.


Another franchise, but man, so good. (I actually liked these movies). The premise is chilling and so captivating (mad props to Suzanne Collins for that). I love the characters...how we break with Katniss over her decisions, and love her with Peeta and want her to love us with Gale. Such a great series, and worth rereading.

No comments:

Post a Comment